1. Ike Ofoegbu (Mexico)
It has been a roller coaster month for Nigerian International Ike Ofoegbu. The 6’9 former Southern Methodist University standout was the top athlete of the week as his side Toros came back from the brink of elimination to win the Mexican LNBP Playoffs Championship which they had lost in the finals the ear before. Facing a 1-3 series deficit in the semi-final to Halc.Rojos, Toros won three games in a row to advance to the finals with Ofoegbu averaging 9 points and 9 rebounds per game. In the final serioes against Mexican league champions Halc.Xalapa, Ofoegbu did even better as his 21 points and 7 rebounds per game carried his side to win the series 4-2. Ofoegbu delivered a game high 30 points along with 5 rebounds and 3 assists in the decisive game 6 win, and was awarded with the finals mvp award for his display, he was also selected as the top forward of the year and earned selection to the All Mexican first team.
2. Ike Diogu (China)
As the CBA Playoff Championship began last week, Guangdong Southern Tigers are proving to be the team to beat. The league winners made light work of Zhejiang Bank, winning the best of five series 3-0 to advance to the Semi-Finals. Ike Diogu’s best effort came in game 1 as he delivered a game high 33 points along with 10 rebounds in the 104-89 win. Diogu’s side must now wait to face the winners of the Xinjiang/Liaoning match up. Highlight of game 1 is below
Josh Akognon (China)
Currently facing a 1-2 deficit and a possibly first round elimination from the CBA Playoffs, Josh Akognon is doing his best to ensure that Liaoning Hunters advance to the next round. The high scoring guard best effort was his 30 points performance which resulted in a win in game 1 against Xinjiang. Liaoning must hope that Akognon keeps delivering at a high volume to turn the tie around and get through the first round. Highlights of game 1 is below.
Gani Lawal (Italy)
Gani Lawal put in a workman like effort, delivering 14 points and 12 rebounds as Virtus Roma came from behind to get past Cremona 79-71 in the Italian top division. After a sub par first half in which Roma went into the break down by 8 points, they came back rejuvenated for the second period as Lawal gave them a spark with an energized display capped off by some highlight dunks to lead the comeback and hold on for the victory. The win take Virtus Roma up to fourth in the table.
5. Aloysius Anagonye (Greece)
In the battle between two teams trying to move off from the bottom half of the Greek league, Nigerian International Aloysius Anagonye delivered 15 points and 11 rebounds as Ilysiakos defeated Panelefsiniakos 66-63 to move them up to 10th place in the Greek top tier. Anagonye is currently averaging 10.8 points and 6.8 rebounds through 9 games played so far.
- Arinze Onuaku’s best effort was a 17 points and 8 rebounds effort as Canton Charge battled out a wild fourth quarter finish to defeat Springfield Armor 112-111. Down by 2 points with 6.9 seconds left in the game, Onuaku’s team-mate Kyle Gibson hit the game win shot with a three-pointer to take the victory 112-111. Springfield Armor Kenny Adeleke had a double double with 12 points and 10 boards in the loss.
- In another D-League action, Daniel Nwaele has been shooting it very well from beyond the arc lately for Santa Cruz Warriors. The 6’5 guard is connecting on just over 57% from three point range in his last three games, his best effort coming in the win against Rio Grande where he finished with 20 points.
- In the Italian Seri A, Ebi Ere finished with 16 points and 3 rebounds as Cimberio Varese defeated Juve Caserta 74-62. Another International Deji Akindele finished with 7 points and 13 rebounds in the game.
- The Polish league saw former University of Denver standout Yemi Nicholson finish with 17 points and 8 boards as Energa Czarni defeated Kotwica 81-62 over the weekend.
- 6’9 Power Froward Ike Okoye got an important win over in Estonia as his side Tallina Kalev defeated Parnu 78-75, Okoye had 11 points and 15 rebounds in the win.
- Urule Igbavboa best effort in Sweden came in last Tuesday match-up against Sodertalje. The 6’8 forward was impressive with 22 points and 5 boards as LF Basket won 78-63.